Sunday, November 02, 2008

Little Pea and Jolly Green Giant

Yesterday I showed up at my team leader's house expecting to canvass. She told me I was the only who wanted to and everyone else wanted to phone bank. I said, "I'll stick around and make calls with you guys in case anyone else shows up that I can convince to come with me because I don't like and won't canvass alone. I was by myself yesterday and I didn't feel safe." A man sitting on the couch looked up and said, "If you need a partner, I suppose I can go with you." Then he stood up. And he was frikin' 6'9", OK? Yeah. I'm 4'11". Obviously I felt safe. What a sight we were walking through our town. People opened their doors when we knocked and for a second just looked at us like we were from the circus or some kind of Halloween comedy group. But it made it easier for us to talk to people because they seemed to want to know how in the world we even knew each other. So if anyone happened to look out their windows yesterday and noticed a freakishly tall man walking around with a freakishly small woman carrying a clipboard and waving to people, that was us.

I know I brag all the time about my freakish strength that enables me to pick up my tall 6'2" husband and carry him around for a few minutes. No way in hell I could have picked up this guy. Not even on steroids.

Today I am exhausted from all my canvassing and need a big rest. I feel guilty about it as it is crunch time but I'm dead tired in my bones. I feel like I've walked a million miles. I'll be back on the trail tomorrow, so again guys, if I knock on your door, be nice. Offer me some Gatorade. Or some painkillers. Whatever.

6 comments:

super des said...

You're doing great, and I heart you for it.
:)
<3

thailandchani said...

You have done wonderfully! I'm impressed by your energy! Obama himself should send you a big "thank you"! :)



~*

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you!!

LittlePea said...

Thanks you guys! I'm so thankful I got to be a part of all this. I'm so proud of myself too-I've never done this before, I had to really step out of my comfort zone and it's been such a great experience. Whatever the outcome is(hopefully I'll be celebrating not pouting Wednesday morning) I'm so happy I got involved.

Unknown said...

You are doing a great job. It may reallly make a difference in your state. Down here, Austin where I live will vote blue and the rest of the state will most likely be red although not as red as it usually is.

SUEB0B said...

I have said it before, but dang, woman, I am SOOO proud of you!