Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Still on the mend

I really was starting to feel better Saturday when I posted. Then Sunday I woke up and my throat felt swollen again. I thought it must be allergies but I just started to feel worse and worse. Finally last Tuesday I broke down and saw my doctor who told me I had a sinus infection and double ear infection. So I've been on antibiotics since then and I feel so much better this week. I can't go in the sun though so I haven't had any beach time but I've been too tired for all that anyway. Last night was the first night in about 2 weeks that I got a really decent sleep. So I'll be good to go in a couple days. I'm beginning to feel like an indoor cat though.



MrPea has been lucky enough to avoid catching my germs and getting sick(knock on wood!) himself. I only have two days left of antibiotics which is good because I keep forgetting to take them on time.


I'm thinking about changing pharmacies and I'll tell you why. One of the pharmacists who works there talks really loud about people's personal issues. Last month when I went in to pick up my birth control pills, he exclaimed upon printing out my receipt,"Look! You have a coupon for free pantyliners!" Then last week when I had my antibiotics filled, he told me,"You should go next door(grocery store) and pick up some yogurt. It may help you to avoid a yeast infection." Now mind you there are about 5 senior citizens standing behind me who, I'm sure, don't want to hear about my hypothetical yeast infection. Mistaking my wrinkled nose as a distaste for yogurt(which I do have but that's not what it was for) he said,"Oh well, if you don't like yogurt that's fine. You can always pick up a box of Monistat from right over there if you end up with a bad yeast infection. Oh and don't forget to put on sunscreen." Wonderful fun isn't it. I'm not sure if I should just put up with it because I like the Head Pharmacist or flee like my arse is on fire to another Drug Store next time. He does this to everyone and I can tell some folks like it as a lot of the seniors in my neighborhood will talk to me, a total stranger, for hours about the matters of their colon and hysterectomies and all kinds of personal health issues. I'm more of the variety that likes NOT to talk to people I've never seen in my life about regular bowel movements, fiber intake and vaginal health.


While I'm on the subject of yogurt, I took Mr.BigMouth's advice and bought some. It was my first time and ohmigosh ya'll, it's as disgusting as I had suspected all my life so much as to avoid it for 32 years. Gross! My husband loves the stuff which is surprising to me as usually I'm the healthy eater and he hates all things nutritious in our household. He told me since I love sour things such as lemons, Key Limes, tart mangoes and sour candies so much that I should love it. NO. I. DID. NOT! Here's why: those above mentioned fruits and candies are supposed to taste that way. Because they are fresh. Yogurt tastes sour because it is milk that has gone bad. Do I sound like an 8 year old who won't eat her corn? Well in so many ways my culinary tastes never evolved past that age and I'm not ashamed to admit it. And I'm not ashamed to admit that I would rather get a yeast infection than eat yogurt. Yep. Sorry Yogurt lovers, I couldn't get on that bus with you guys. I tried and it just didn't happen for me.

Now I laugh like a hyena everytime a yogurt commercial comes on tv. All those women look like me. I am their demographic. Well I can tell you, I was not making all kinds of orgasmic faces and giggling blissfully, spoon in hand. And have you noticed they are all usually doing yoga or wearing a yoga outfit? An advertising exec somewhere out there probably got promoted for coming up with that. "Yo-ga, Yo-gurt. Hey it's almost the same word! Women will be pushing down the doors for this stuff!"

I hate when people tell me,"Oh honey, you just need to get used to it." Why would I ever need to get "used" to something that tastes repulsive is beyond my intelligence level. Next time someone says that to me, I will ask if they could ever get used to being slapped in the face. No? I didn't think so.


BTW if this post sounds like a rerun, it pro'lly is. But as I've said, I am MsKitty looking out the window, not being allowed to go out into the wild like I so want to so creative thought has escaped me for now.

5 comments:

super des said...

I like yogurt, but I'm really really picky about it. Absolutely NO "fruit at the bottom" and only the following flavors: strawberry/banana, strawberry, or blackberry.

That's it.

Hope you feel better soon.

thailandchani said...

I do like blueberry yogurt.. but only one brand and only occasionally.

As for old people discussing their health issues, that irritates me beyond all description. I am marginally in that demographic and find it totally unnecessary to bash other people's ears about the state of my colon or any other major organ.

People are weird. :)

Another thing I've noticed is that older people begin to believe everyone is interested in every move they might make. "I went to Safeway" is supposed to generate an enthusiastic and interested response.

Meh.



~*

heartinsanfrancisco said...

So sorry you're sick, Sweet Pea. I totally agree with you about getting used to something. I hate beer. HATE. IT. My ex-husband used to tell me, "It's an acquired taste," to which I always responded, "WHY should I acquire a taste for something I even hate the smell of which isn't even good for me?"

As for yogurt, most are not really healthy anyway as they are full of sweeteners. They are merely appealing because they are small and cutely packaged and because people assume they are healthy and will make them lose weight.

A shell shop at Fisherman's Wharf has a huge sign in the window that says "We have shark's teeth," and I thought, "NO. That's just wrong. They all belong to Sweet Pea." Feel better, Missy.

Maurey Pierce said...

Hope you feel better ...

Yogurt ads - bleh! How about Activia? Do we really need the animated arrow pointing down to show just what happens when you eat it? I get the idea ...

SUEB0B said...

You gotta see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMRDLCR8vAE