Thursday, June 19, 2008

I sang really loud all day

Guess where I went today! And guess what I did!!

I carried my bike down several flights of stairs because I have yet to make friends with anyone in my neighborhood who has a garage. It was about 90 degrees and the wind was against me. I had my ipod plugged in and I sang really loud the whole time. I should have known singing really loud and riding against a strong seabreeze makes you run out of breathe faster than normal. I got a little worn out and stopped at my usual resting spot for a sip of water. There is always a different sort of bird there. This one refused to look my way.

But I was patient.



I locked my bike on the walk way and walked south towards the fancypants country club area. You can see it was pretty crowded down there. I bet they have no clue that they are swimming with so many sharks.... I can't handle a loud, crowded cool-people-section beach, it makes me grouchy so I kept my distance.

I got there just as low tide was about to peak and there were little tidal pools forming. I felt something tickling my ankles, looked down and there were all these teensy fishies swimming.

They must have got stuck in the tidal pools so they'll have to wait the 8 hours for high tide to come back.


It took me a long time to find anything, I was beginning to wonder if I had lost my skills. Then I found a tiny one and so on and so on....Look at the big one. I think it's a bull shark tooth. I also picked up those scallop shells, snail shell, and two vertebrae.

I took a picture of this crab shell so I could look it up in my field guide and also I thought the design was pretty.


I took a rest after about an hour and a half of walking. Someone had left a wagon nearby but it did not ruin my view. I thought about maybe doing some yoga poses for the exercise. But then I remembered I've never done yoga before in my entire life so I don't know any poses. So I just ate a banana and imagined doing yoga instead.

No jokes about my how long my second toe is, because it will hurt my feelings! Actually it won't. Still though, laugh to your self and not to me.


I was worried maybe I was getting too much sun but I couldn't resist one more little search. After putting on more sunscreen of course. ( I use SPF 80 and I still get tan so people please use sunscreen and don't use not being able to get a decent tan as an excuse. Skin cancer. That's all I need to say, ok. )
I found all these.

And what looks like either petrified wood or a piece of bone.


I grew up going to church every Sunday. I don't go very often anymore, once in a while I'll get into a routine of going for a few months and then stop for a while, rinse-repeat. I do consider myself a very spiritual person. I can honestly say that I feel more spiritual and closer to God here at this beach than I ever have inside any church I've ever been in. Does that make me a heathen? It so does NOT!

3 comments:

SUEB0B said...

There's a song that says "There's no place more sacred than where you stand."

We used to say that bone-looking stuff was petrified whalebone. Dunno if that is correct though.

super des said...

That sounds like a super great day.

Whiskeymarie said...

"I thought about maybe doing some yoga poses for the exercise. But then I remembered I've never done yoga before in my entire life so I don't know any poses. So I just ate a banana and imagined doing yoga instead."

That is hilarious.
Sounds like a fab day- I'm jealous!